Ear Candle Therapy (also known as Thermo-Auricular Therapy) is a simple, natural and effective treatment widely used to relieve a range of conditions associated with the ear, nose and throat. It is also aids deep relaxation helping to reduce stress and anxiety.
How It Works
The candles work by vapourising their ingredients once lit, causing warm convectional air flow towards the first chamber of the ear. The candle creates a mild suction which lets the vapours gently massage the eardrum and auditory canal, regulating ear pressure. Once the candle is placed in the ear it forms a seal which enables wax to soften, and other impurities to be drawn out.
Ear candling is a gentle but effective way of strengthening your immune system. After the candling treatment is complete you will also receive a facial lymphatic drainage massage.
Please Note: Ear candling is totally safe and is a complementary treatment (it does not replace medical treatment). If you are in any doubt at all, or suffer from an ear condition, please consult with your GP prior to treatment.
MYTH - The candle does not 'suck out' ear wax. The residue remaining in the candle is indicative of how the treatment has progressed - a lot of powder or wax shows that the candle has not reached it's optimum temperature to burn efficiently, indicating excess wax build up or other obstruction in the ear. The ear wax present is gently heated and softened, allowing it to expel naturally over 24 - 48 hours.
SAFETY - We only use candles which have been tested, accredited and certified according to the European Medical Device Directive (93/42 Class 1). The candles contain a specially developed safety filter which prevents combustion residues, and in some cases, unburned wax, from entering the ear canal. It is suitable for adults and children of all ages.
What to expect at a treatment session:
- A consultation about medications and ear conditions
- An ear examination
- You will then lie comfortably on the treatment couch
- A candle is put in the first ear and lit (this lasts approximately 9-11 minutes)
- The ear is then cleaned of any residue
- The second ear is then treated and cleaned
- This is followed by a lymphatic facial massage to improve circulation and energy flow to the area
- You will then be offered a glass of water to rehydrate
- You will remain fully clothed throughout the session
Is it suitable for me?
- Ear wax build up
- Glue Ear
- Hay fever and asthma
- Blocked nasal passage
- Headaches and migraine
- Sore throats
- Menier's Disease
- Eases ear pressure from air or car travel
- Helps with hearing problems
- Gives clearer feeling in head and ears
- Increases lymphatic circulation
- Reduces snoring
- Aids relaxation
- Improves breathing and sinus's
- Enhances energy flow
- Provides stress relief
- Assists better sleep patterns
- Aids clarity of thought
Treatment cannot take place if you have any of the following:
Perforation or lack of eardrum
Ventilation tubes, auricular drains or grommets
Recent ear or dental surgery
Excessively high or low blood pressure
Otosclerosis or Otospongiosis
Allergy to bees wax / stings
£35 per treatment